1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ads on this forum

Discussion in 'Forum Help' started by kirk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

As you can see, there are ads on this forum. I need to be able to make some money from the time and effort I am expending here. As such, I hope you will all visit my sponsors.

At the same time, please feel free to comment if you find either the ads or their locations to be annoying. I'm trying to strike a balance between the need to monetize my work and not making the forum look too ugly, or having the ads become a hindrance to your use of the forum. So any comments are welcome.

2. Slydude

Slydude Member

I don't find the ads nearly as annoying as they are on some sites. Only been around a day or solo I'm not sure how much weight this will carry but here's an idea that might be worth investigating. One of the forums I'm on has an interesting approach to this issue. I don't know how much it generates but here's how it works:
    1. Most users see ads similar to the ones which appear here. Their aids may/may not be Mac-related.
    2. If a member wants to opt out of the ads they can pay to become a "premium member". I haven't checked recently but I think it was about $50 a year. Not sure how much it generates per ywar but I might be able to check with one of the admins to find out.

3. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback. As the forum grows - if it does - that's something I would certainly offer. Right now, it's too soon to do much more than what I'm doing.