1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to iOS 10 Music app with Star Ratings

Discussion in 'Using iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch' started by wrtiede, Sep 9, 2016.

1. wrtiede

wrtiede New Member

Given the near final release of iOS 10, it seems like we'll have to deal with Apple having killed the star ratings in iOS 10's music app.

However, it seems like star ratings are still in iTunes for now and are still synchronized with the music database on iOS, just not visible/editable with the built-in Music app.

My current alternative is to use an app called Ecoute ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ecoute-beautiful-music-player/id536882653?mt=8 ) which does show stars and allow editing of star ratings, too. Unfortunately, it is not available in iPad friendly design, only iPhone.

Any other favorite apps out there that will offer access to the star ratings on iOS? Do they work with iPad, too?

2. wrtiede

wrtiede New Member

I'll update my own post to say that I've also tried another app that I personally like a bit better than Ecoute which is called Cesium Music Player ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cesium-music-player/id924491991?mt=8 ) which also allows for editing of star ratings on songs.

Both Ecoute and Cesium are iPhone only without iPad versions available, though, if you care about that sort of thing.

I've also seen a discussion that third party apps like these don't work for users when they sync and download music via iCloud Music Library. In my case, I've still chosen to sync periodically with my computer through iTunes rather than use iCloud and I can confirm that star ratings I update on my device do update my iTunes library via this local synchronization.

3. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

4. Greg Zillgitt

Greg Zillgitt New Member

Neutron. Not free, but worth it. Ratings are a first-class UI citizen:

IMG_0549.PNG