1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup failures

Discussion in 'Syncing iOS Devices' started by Jim McDonough, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jim McDonough

Jim McDonough New Member

I have been having a problem with my iPhone 6 Plus where it puts out an error saying the backup failed (during sync) because the iPhone disconnected. And yet it sits there still syncing. I saw a variety of solutions on the support chat boards but none of them worked or were so old I didn't try them. I am plugging directly into the Mac and not through a hub, and I have tried different ports and cables.

I synced my phone with a different Mac and that worked. Deleted the backup from the primary Mac and backed up again, and that worked. I am guessing that it tries somehow to interact with the prior backup and doesn't like it, and if there is no prior backup it works.

Now I can sometimes sync normally, but not always.

Interested in any solutions/suggestions. Thanks.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I've heard all sorts of stories about backup problems. What I do is back up my devices to my Mac, and occasionally do iCloud backups, just in case.

3. Khoi

Khoi New Member

@Jim McDonough—this won't be helpful, but I've been experiencing the same problem and can't find a solution.

I got desperate and even wiped my iPhone clean and reinstalled everything from scratch. That worked for a day or so, but then the exact same problem came back.

Then I thought it might be iTunes, so I deleted it from my Mac (via Terminal) and installed a fresh copy and started a new iTunes Library. The problem returned.

So I'm not sure what to say or do here. It's frustrating as heck.

4. kirk

My guess is that it's similar to the many sync problems, such as I describe here:

iTunes 12 Sync Problems: Why Doesn’t Syncing from iTunes to iOS Devices Work?

Note the more than 200 comments on that article describing the many kinds of sync issues. I've personally seen sync issues where a sync failed because the device disconnected, or "could not be found."

It may be worth trying this:

One Possible Explanation for Some iTunes Sync Problems

Or, try backing up with the phone in airplane mode; that resolves some sync issues.

5. Khoi

Khoi New Member

So rebooting my Mac and setting the phone to Airplane Mode seems to work. It also worked for my wife's phone, which was suffering from the same problem.

Setting aside the fact that these are pretty unreasonable steps to require a user to take just to back up his/her phone, I'm ecstatic about having a fix. Thank you Kirk!

6. darrenoia

darrenoia New Member

For what it's worth, I read a different approach on another forum recently that helped me: Delete the existing backup for the device first in iTunes Preferences > Devices. Right click on the backup to show the Delete option. Obviously, this gets rid of your existing backup before the new one is in place, but I've found it does work for me. Alternatively, you could try Archiving the old backup. I haven't tried that but it seems like it could be worth a shot.

7. Jim McDonough

Jim McDonough New Member

I am finding that deleting the backup using iTunes works about 75% of the time. I have a couple of other devices, an old iPad and a newer one, that have no problems. The 6 Plus has continual problems.

8. Khoi

Khoi New Member

Spoke too soon, I guess. This morning I tried rebooting the Mac and setting the iPhone to Airplane Mode to do a backup again, and I got the same error. Not sure what's happening here but it's incredibly frustrating.

--

Okay what worked for me this morning was archiving the previous backup, setting my iPhone to Airplane Mode and then backing up again. Fingers crossed that this keeps working for me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. kirk

Oy, sorry to hear that. So maybe you need to delete the backup each time. And turn around three times, spit, and then pray...

10. Jim McDonough

Jim McDonough New Member

The thing I worry about is this - if iTunes doesn't like the backup it made and won't make another unless you delete it - what happens if you need to use the backup?

11. ChristinWein

ChristinWein New Member

Actually, you can use other software or APP to backup iPhone. There are several on Google, you can get one and have a try.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. Dwaaty

Dwaaty New Member

Don't use iTunes backup iOS data .You can use some ios transfer apps to backup data to computer .
    Like it : How to backup iPhone data

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016