1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to store video clips?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PJ07, Aug 25, 2016.

1. PJ07

PJ07 Member

I have a few hundred video clips that I shot with various cameras and phones that I've owned over the years. The clips are in AVI, MOV and other standard formats. Total size is about 30GB.

I would like to store and organize all the clips in one place. Just wondering what other people find as the best way to do this? Import them all into iMovie and organize them into "Events"? Import them into Photos and organize into folders and albums? Just use Finder and organize into folders and sub folders?

Thanks.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I use Plex for all my videos:

https://www.plex.tv

It can play all those formats, many that iTunes can't. And it's easy to organize it into sub-libraries, playlists, etc.

3. PJ07

PJ07 Member

Thanks, it never occurred to me to use Plex to store my raw (not RAW) video clips. I tried Plex a couple years ago and liked it. But we have a lot of purchased iTunes content with DRM. At that time Plex could not (and probably still can't) play DRM content, and I didn't want to maintain two different media players. Maybe time to take another look at it.

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Plex can't play DRMed content, but I use it for everything that is not from the iTunes Store.

As an aside, I've just gotten back into playing guitar, and I've bought a bunch of video lessons, and Plex is much better for organizing them than iTunes. Since each lesson has several videos, it would take a lot of tagging to get them organized well in iTunes, whereas Plex just reads the content of folders, and I can view each set of lessons on its own.

5. kenny keith

kenny keith New Member

I would like to say that I always use hard drive.