1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert tracks to MP3 without adding to the Library?

Discussion in 'Ripping, Converting, Files & Formats' started by someToast, Jan 7, 2016.

1. someToast

someToast Member

I need to convert a few hundred AAC tracks in iTunes to 128K MP3 files. I know that I can convert in place, but I don’t want to create a slew of duplicates that would get processed by iTunes Match that I would later have to go in and clean up (and that feels a little like tempting fate with poking the Match hornet’s nest).

My understanding is that ripping an MP3 CD requires the original tracks to be MP3 and doesn’t convert on the fly. Are there other options available?

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

3. someToast

someToast Member

That looks like it’ll be perfect. Thanks!

4. someToast

someToast Member

…except it throws errors (Cannot open the input file) when attempting to read AAC.

5. kirk

Really? Are these DRM-protected AAC files? Otherwise, I've never, ever had a problem (though I don't convert AAC > MP3).

6. someToast

someToast Member

No, just standard AAC files from my own library… a combination of purchased, CD rips, and downloaded matched files.

I ended up using fre:ac, which worked well for this one-off task (being able to drag tracks from an iTunes’ playlist into the converter was a biggie).

7. kirk

You can drag tracks from iTunes to any converter, so that's not a big deal.

But I'd be curious to see which files wouldn't convert. I've really never had anything that didn't work with XLD, and the developer updates it frequently.

8. someToast

someToast Member

That’s odd… I drag and drop one or several tracks from iTunes’ playlist window to XLD’s icon in the dock and the icon highlights, but nothing happens.

If I do XLD’s Open command from the File menu, I can choose one of my AAC files but that’s when it throws the error.

9. kirk

Hmm. I don't usually do it from within iTunes, but it should work; when you drag a file like that, the OS understands it as a pointer to the original file. What if you drag files from the Finder?