1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting from ALAC to FLAC

Discussion in 'Ripping, Converting, Files & Formats' started by ldhaber, Dec 2, 2016.

1. ldhaber

ldhaber New Member

I had been using an old MacBook Pro as a "front-end" running iTunes with the library maintained on a Synology NAS. The digital files I have are a mixture of MP3, AAC and ALAC. Unfortunately, the MBP is no longer operating and in its place I have a first generation Naim Unitiqute. This device does a reasonable job reading and streaming a library but cannot read ALAC files, but can read FLAC files.

Given the AAC and ALAC files have the same suffix, is there a way for me to easily identify and covert my ALAC files to FLAC, without converting AAC files to FLAC. And, what would happen to my carefully tuned metadata?

Thanks in advance for your help here,

Larry

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You can search for Apple Lossless files in the Finder on a Mac, and then convert them, using something like the free XLD. Most of the metadata will remain, everything that is not iTunes-specific, such is play counts, ratings, etc.

3. ldhaber

ldhaber New Member

Thank Kirk,

However when I attempt to search in the finder for ALAC, my only choices for music are MP3, AAC or Purchased. Pls see the screenshot I've attached. Is there something I am missing?

Best,

Larry

[​IMG]

4. coke

coke New Member

Curiously, I tried to search for "ALAC" and had the same results. By using Spotlight, I manually found a song that I imported as ALAC. When I look under the song's cover image on the right, I see "Apple MPEG-4 audio." I tried that phrase as a search term and found them all. However, it not only finds the ALAC ones I converted using iTunes, but it also displays the songs I purchased from iTunes. If I used "Apple Lossless" as the search term, the Finder displayed the songs imported using ALAC with XLD.

5. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, I know that used to be a search term that came up in the Finder.

Try this: search for Apple MPEG-4 Audio, then click the + button. Click the first menu in the new search bar, then choose Other. Check Audio Bit Rate, then OK.

Next, click that first menu again, and choose Audio Bit Rate; from the second menu, choose is greater than, then enter 256 in the empty field. That should find only the Apple Lossless files, unless you have some that are a very low bit rate (I don't have any whose bit rates are that low).