1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC for Apple TV (3rd gen)

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by giampablo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. giampablo

giampablo New Member

I want to connect my ATV to an old amplifier with analog inputs (rca white and red plugs) through the toslink. The amplifier is a good sounding old Cambridge with Kef speakers. So, I need a DAC connector.
    As far as I know, Dacs range from expensive devices to very inexpensive (10-30 €) and I guess there is a flexibility (more plug types) and quality difference. Since I just need a single connection (toslink to rca) I would like to know if the cheap dacs are good enough or I am going to waste some money.

The conversion quality is important, since I'm going to ripping again all my cd's to ALAC.

Regards from Italy

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I'm of the opinion that DACs are not that different between the low end and the high end. I'd avoid the cheapest, but go for something that's, say, €200 or so. Check the reviews on the audio websites; you'll find plenty of options. Also, not all DACs have Toslink, so you'll want to find one that does to avoid any kind of adaptor or converter.