1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate playlists

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by cambridgehank, Apr 10, 2017.

1. cambridgehank

cambridgehank New Member

I am trying to play my iTunes music library on my Apple TV. I understand I have to load my library into iCloud and iTunes match account.

I have my library stored on my Macbook Pro. I then copy the library to my external drive as a back up.
    I then copy off of the external drive to my iMac desktop computer. I keep this computer logged into my iTunes account and under prefernces select iTunes preferences, I select iCloud Music Library.
    The computer then syncs the iTunes library with the iCloud. When it finishes, I end up with duplicates of my playlist and many of them do not have the full playlist . The duplicates have a number 1 after the name. In some cases, the playlist R&B: 1978 becomes 79 and 80? I am not sure what is going on,
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I've found that the cloud creates lots of dupes like this. You just have to delete them manually.

cambridgehank likes this.
  3. theo

theo Member

A similar thing happens to me about half the time while syncing to an iPod touch. It seems to be a bug that is part of the pre-syncing backup process.
    For the numbers, iTunes must be assuming that a list name ending in 78 is the 78th copy of a playlist.
    I am careful to delete the x1 playlist from my iOS device, then from my macOS library. Every time. Very annoying.

cambridgehank likes this.
  4. kirk

Have you tried renaming the playlists? Maybe just add a character in the name, sync, then change the name back.

And, yes, the numbering is most likely because iTunes thinks that a number at the end of a playlist means an iteration of that playlist. It does that rather than delete and overwrite the playlist, I assume.

theo likes this.
  5. cambridgehank

cambridgehank New Member

iTunes, the match program, and the iCloud are messed up. Is there another way to load my iTunes library into my AppleTV without iTunes match? I have done Airplay from my laptop and desktop, but that seems like a waste of energy when the AppleTV is connected to my wifi.

6. theo

theo Member

(if you were addressing me)
    The playlist without the 1 at the end is the one with the intended contents.
    I was concerned that if I renamed it, I might have to wait for hours for the 16,000-track playlist to re-sync as if it were a new list. But maybe renaming does not have that effect.

7. kirk

If the original playlist is already synced, then all the tracks are on the device. A playlist is just a list of pointers to tracks; if those tracks are on the device, they're not re-copied. If a playlist is renamed, iTunes does not delete the tracks in the first one and re-sync the new one; it simply replaces the playlist using the tracks already on the device.

theo likes this.
  8. cambridgehank

cambridgehank New Member

After reading this forum, other on line questions about this problem and trying to discuss it with Apple support, here is what I came up with. I selected all the songs in my library and hit the delete key, I was prompted, that I was deleting all the songs on iCloud, which I approved. This did not work. I found another forum that said delete small groups of songs and select "Update iCloud Music Library after each delete". That removed the songs from iCloud, but the duplicate playlist(s) kept returning. So after the last group of songs was deleted, I selected each playlist separately and deleted each. I then reloaded my library from my laptop library to my desktop. Kirk, I learned from your iTunes book and keep a virgin copy of the library on the laptop and not connected to iTunes or the iCloud. When I synced the desktop library with iCloud, all the songs were in place and no duplicate playlist. But every playlist had some songs missing. I am now completing the playlist with the missing songs and updating iCloud library. Seems to be working just fine. The bottom line is I want to play my music through my Apple TV to my audio receiver and that is working as I move forward. I am not clear why iCloud and Match override what I have on my computer's iTunes' library.