1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

from NAS to TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by ldhaber, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ldhaber

ldhaber New Member

I have a NAS wired into my Apple Extreme network and as I am sitting in my family room, I am streaming from my laptop, which connects to the NAS via family sharing, to a Marantz av unit via Airplay. The Marantz unit operates with both wired and wireless connectivity. Is the path to my speakers wired from NAS to router, wireless from router to laptop, and then wireless from laptop to av unit? Where does the conversion from digital to analogue occur? In my laptop or in the "recipient" of the airplay signal, that is, the Marantz av unit?

If I were to insert an TV into the path and use the remote app, and if the TV were tied via ethernet to my network, would the signal path then by wired and not wireless?

My goal is to see if I can get the signal to flow without use of wireless.

thanks,

Larry

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

The conversion occurs on the Marantz. It's digital until the device that actually plays the audio.

I'm not sure what your question is about the Apple TV. It would be wired from the Apple TV to anything else on the network that is wired, and wireless elsewhere. But why does that matter? Are you having bandwidth issues with wireless?

3. ldhaber

ldhaber New Member

I am having occasional dropouts in the playback of the music which I presume is a wireless issue. Hence if I wire the AppleTV into the system, I would not be moving data wirelessly even though I'd be using a remote app. I was not sure whether or not the data moves through the remote app to the AppleTV. Sounds like the remote is a remote and not a device for data pass through.

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the Remote app is only for control. So if it's all wired, then you shouldn't have dropouts.