1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes cannot connect to Gracenote server

Discussion in 'Ripping, Converting, Files & Formats' started by PJ07, Dec 17, 2016.

1. PJ07

PJ07 Member

I have two MacBook Pro's sitting side by side, that I am using to rip my CD collection. On MacBook Pro #1, everything works fine: iTunes rips the CD's and finds the song names and album info from Gracenote. On MacBook Pro #2, iTunes tries to rip the CD's but is not able to access Gracenote. It keeps displaying the error "iTunes cannot connect to Gracenote server. Do you want to continue ripping the CD?"

Both MacBook Pro's are connected to the internet. And in iTunes > Preferences > General, the "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet" box is checked on both MacBook Pro's.

Any thoughts why MacBook Pro #2 cannot access Gracenote? Thx

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

There's no reason why, unless there's some software on the second computer that is blocking it. Have you tried restarting it?

3. PJ07

PJ07 Member

Success! In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options, iTunes.app was set to block incoming connections. Changing it to "allow" solved the problem. Not sure why it was set to "block" though ...

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. Did you recently updates something? I think only the system could make that change without your intervention.