1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes Media Folder

Discussion in 'iTunes & AppleScripts' started by UKenGB, Dec 11, 2015.

1. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Can I get the name of the above in an AppleScript?

I cannot find any reference to either this or the library file location in the iTunes dictionary, but it would seem obvious to me that it should be possible to obtain these paths for use in scripts. What's the best way to get the path to the Media Folder?

2. DougAdams

DougAdams Moderator Staff Member

This is available in the XML file using the key "Music Folder". So, get the location of the XML file from the iApps.plist file, and parse the XML. So you can do something like this:

use AppleScript
    use framework "AppKit"

set currentXMLPath to ((((current application's NSUserDefaults's standardUserDefaults()'s persistentDomainForName:"com.apple.iApps")'s objectForKey:"iTunesRecentDatabasePaths")'s objectAtIndex:0)'s stringByExpandingTildeInPath()) as text

tell current application's NSMutableDictionary to set itunesLibraryXML to its dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:currentXMLPath

set mediaFilePath to (((current application's NSURL's URLWithString: (itunesLibraryXML's objectForKey:"Music Folder"))'s |path|())) as text

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
  3. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Doug, I edited your post to use a fixed-width font. It doesn't look great, but I think it's better. (Tell me if you mind my meddling...)

Related, I need to figure out a way for code to display better here...

4. DougAdams

Yeah, I was using the BBCode Editor, but then I forgot how to do CODE with it. Been a long time.

5. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

There's a font button in the toolbar; you can choose from a number of font families. But I'll see if I can CSS something a bit better.

6. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Thanks Doug, I was hoping to avoid having to find the XML library and parse that. Obviously not. Here's my shell script version:-

TXMLF=$(defaults read com.apple.iApps iTunesRecentDatabases | grep file | cut -c 13-);eval 'grep -i "Music Folder" "'${TXMLF//\%20/\ } | cut -d '/' -f 4- | cut -d '<' -f 1

A bit messy to say the least. I had hoped to reduce the number of pipes, but it's getting late. Just need to decide now which to use.

7. DougAdams

Yeah. I used to use something along those lines but, as you say, so unpretty.