1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just venting ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PJ07, Sep 8, 2016.

1. PJ07

PJ07 Member

I like Apple. I really do. But I have to admit I was disappointed with Apple's product announcements yesterday. The iPhone is Apple's key product, and it certainly warrants prime position in Apple's product announcements. I don't mind the elimination of the audio jack, which seems to be controversial. I don't charge my device and listen to audio at the same time, so no issue there. And I don't feel forced to move to wireless audio, aka Airpods. My frustration is that so many of Apple's other products seem to take a distant back seat to the iPhone:

- The Mac Pro, which upon its introduction was touted by Phil Schiller as "can't innovate anymore, my ass", but then hasn't been updated in 3 years.

- The entire MacBook line, with infrequent updates, and (what I find) as a somewhat confusing product-positioning strategy with the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

- A similarly confusing strategy with the various iPad sizes.

- A lot of good software, but a number of products which I consider buggy and incomplete (e.g., iCloud, Apple ID management).

- The lack of an exciting, blockbuster new product since the departure of Steve Jobs (and no, I do not consider Watch to be a blockbuster product).

Enough venting. My only conclusion is that I'm not bright enough to grasp Apple's strategy, and that incremental annual improvements in some products is enough to maintain their market leadership. Or, maybe there will be another Apple event soon that addresses some of the above points.

I did like Sia, though.

2. Fourforks

Fourforks New Member

If the stories on the various Apple rumour sites are true, then next year sees the release of new form factor iPhones made of all glass, OLED displays and iris scanners. If even some of those rumours are true, then the unexciting announcement yesterday can be seen as simply a holding release whilst they prep the much more radical and exciting iPhones to come next year. Well, we can hope!!

I agree with you about software. Apple seem to release it either full of bugs or half finished. Take iWork - Pages is still waiting those basic features you would expect and there has not been a real update for some time now. It's easy to say it has only happened since Jobs died, after all Mobile Me, but it does feel that these sort of problems are becoming more common.

3. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Pages still doesn't have 2-up view. That shows that Apple doesn't care about people who use it in any serious way.