1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Library name and sharing

Discussion in 'iTunes & AppleScripts' started by UKenGB, Dec 22, 2016.

1. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

In a similar vein to my Mobile Apps thread, is it possible to access/edit (via AppleScript, of course) the name of the Library, whether it is shared and what is to be shared?

As with the Mobile Apps issue, I've been looking at the iTunes Dictionary, but cannot find any reference to any of the above. Is it actually possible to control these with AppleScript, or like Mobile Apps are we not permitted to mess with these?

2. DougAdams

DougAdams Moderator Staff Member

The name you use for the local library in a sharing situation is not accessible to AppleScript. You can see what commands and properties iTunes exposes to AppleScript in its scripting definition file.

Open Script Editor. Under the "Window" menu, select "Library". In the panel that appears, iTunes should be listed. Double-click on "iTunes" in the list to open the iTunes scripting definition.

3. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Isn't that the iTunes Dictionary I've been studying?

Is there any way to turn Library Sharing ON and OFF with AppleScript, without resorting to keystroke processing?

Presumably the name and sharing status is stored in the library file and not iTunes prefs?