1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Links and syncs

Discussion in 'iTunes & AppleScripts' started by UKenGB, Dec 2, 2016.

1. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

I share several of the iTunes Media folders for use between more than one Mac, by automounting just the appropriate individual folders. However I came across a problem some time ago and never found a solution but which I now need to do so in order to proceed with my master plan.

Automounter cannot deal with spaces in the path names.

As far as I know it's the daemon automountd that reads the config files in /etc (auto.master, fstab etc) and it is unable to correctly deal with spaces anywhere in the path. Aha I hear you say, just escape the space with a \ or use quotes. If only it were that simple. Yes, it is SUPPOSED to understand \ as the escape character, even the man page states that, but it does not and treats both \ and " merely as a regular characters. So although the original export from the server quite happily and correctly exports paths with spaces (by escaping them with a \ surprise surprise), you cannot then use any such export, nor can you mount any other otherwise usable (i.e. no spaces) export onto a path with a space. So double blocked when you want to export iTunes' Home Videos and/or TV Shows folders and both ends are being used by iTunes.

Needless to say, if anyone knows how to fix this, then please say as I'm all ears, but I doubt it is possible without re-writing automountd. Which brings me to the question of how to avoid the problem.

Is it in any way possible to tell iTunes to use different folder names for its media storage, so e.g. to use Home_Videos and TV_Shows instead. Again, I very much doubt it, but if anyone can figure a way to do that, then please let me know.

Alternatively, would iTunes accept the names it wants to use actually being symlinks to other named real folders (obviously without spaces in)? I know, I can try this and I will, but it always helps to know of other's experience.

2. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Well I tried the symlinks and although iTunes is quite happy to read files that reside in a symlinked folder, it will NOT move them there when e.g. changing the type of a Music Video (therefore in the Music folder) to a Home Video. It does move within iTunes itself, but the file remains in the Music folder. No error, but no good either. No idea what happens when you try to add a new file of this type though. Maybe that would produce an error. But in any case, it's obviously not a solution.

I could hard-link the folder being shared which ought to work, but on the 'client' end, I reckon this is still not a solution. Mounting onto a hard-link probably would work, but I have a suspicion that accessing the other link would not give you the shared data.

Really it all comes down to the bug in automountd which is not correctly using \ as the escape character. If this could be fixed then I wouldn't need to worry about links. Anyone any suggestions on how to get something like automountd bug-fixed?