1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Applications

Discussion in 'iTunes & AppleScripts' started by UKenGB, Dec 19, 2016.

1. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Is it possible to do anything with these and/or iTunes handling of them?

Specifically, I want to delete all apps from iTunes' database. In fact there will be no actual files at the paths indicated so I want to delete all references from iTunes. I thought this would be simple, but I've not been able to establish any way to reference either the individual apps' entries or the overall container (I hesitate to call it a playlist).

Is it possible to do any such thing in AppleScript or are Mobile Apps completely out of bounds and inaccessible to iTunes scripting?

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

This isn't something you want to do manually, I assume? Technically, I believe that each media library is a playlist, and can be called by AppleScript, but I'm not sure how.

3. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

I am trying to set up an automated process, so from that point of view, it cannot be manual. If there's no solution, the library just has to keep the links to the Mobile apps that are not there and hide them from sharing - except I cannot do that. o_O

iTunes looks more and more of a mess when you study it in more detail. There's 2 types of sharing but no clarity on which will do what. Home Sharing is required to use TVs, but HS is ALL or NOTHING. You cannot use it just as a 'client'. Once it's on, you become a server too and everyone can see and access ALL your content. There's no way to control direction of sharing, nor what is shared. What used to be sharing a Library is now called Music Sharing, but this is a stupid way to refer to sharing which isn't just Music. Well it could be as you do have control over what is shared and you can choose to see other Shared Libraries without sharing your own, but Music Sharing is NOT the correct term and anyway it's no good if you want to use TVs. Mind you, Apple still puts iTunes (except the app of course) into your Music folder which has been wrong for so many years it's not funny. I move it to a more logical location, but I shouldn't need to do this. Why do Apple keep doing stuff wrong.

iTunes has, on the whole, good AppleScript support and as you say, each media type is a kind of playlist which gives a consistent feel to it. But As far as I can tell, Mobile Applications are excluded from all this. There is no 'special kind' shown in iTunes' A/S dictionary for Apps and I have read elsewhere that you cannot access them with A/S. Where is Apple's famed consistency. Been missing for years now and using the wrong terms for features. Didn't we laugh at how Windows has a Start menu that you use to shut down? MS had a habit of making things confusing by using the wrong terms and being wildly inconsistent. Seems like it was an infectious disease and Apple is truly infected.

If anyone does know how to access Mobile Applications in iTunes using AppleScript, please explain how I can delete them from the database/library. In the meantime, following Kirk's mention elsewhere that he uses Plex, I'm having another look at it. So far, so good. But I would need to upgrade my TVs to Gen 4. Unless I run iTunes in parallel which means I still have to work around iTunes' shortcomings. :(

If only life was as easy as the adverts pretend.

4. DougAdams

DougAdams Moderator Staff Member

Mobile apps are not accessible with AppleScript. For a brief time around 12.4, info about them was available in the XML. But that information is no longer available.

5. UKenGB

UKenGB Member

Thanks Doug. I kinda guessed you'd know and as your missing Mobile Applications app is not AppleScript, I was fairly sure of the answer, but always nice to get things confirmed.