1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music database management with iTunes on non-Macs

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by Al_H, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Al_H

Al_H New Member

I have an extensive music collection from ripped CDs, mostly classical music. I use iTunes first and foremost for database management and tagging (boy oh boy, does classical music ever need database management...), and I run iTunes primarily from my Macbook Air. With that said, I am going to need a new computer soon. Apple is making me increasingly nervous with the uncertainty in their future Macbook line -- many reports that the Air might be discontinued, high price of the Macbook Pro and its lack of ports, etc. So I am reluctantly considering - just considering, right now - getting a non-Mac laptop of some sort. My worry, though, is how well (if at all) I would be able to do my iTunes database management within another operating system. I think I'm correct in saying Apple does not support iTunes on other systems (somebody correct me if that's wrong). I assume, at minimum, I might have to convert my files, which are all Apple lossless. I suppose that's doable. But beyond that, any opinions as to what my chances would be of having a smoothly working iTunes interface on, say, a Microsoft Surface Pro, a ThinkPad - whatever? Anybody have any experience in that area? Thanks in advance for any advice on this....

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You can use iTunes on Windows. You have been able to for about 15 years.

3. Al_H

Al_H New Member

I know, but I just wondered how well it works vs. on a Mac. Anybody have any known issues using it on a different platform than Macs?

4. kirk

I've always heard that iTunes on Windows is a bit wanky, in part because it installs a lot of things for media playback. But I don't know if that's the case any more. I haven't heard any of these gripes in a while. Windows users used to complain about how much they had to install; that iTunes, being a few hundred MB, was a big problem for them.

5. Al_H

Al_H New Member

OK, thanks, that's the kind of thing I was wanting to know. I'd be interested if anybody else has any relevant experience. I'm wondering if there are, for instance, maybe certain tagging operations that go awry or that are unavailable if you're not using iTunes on an Apple platform. That type of thing. I just want to know if there are any potential deal-breakers regarding the use of iTunes before I buy a computer with some other platform. (Which I'm hoping I don't have to do. I'm going to wait out Apple for a few months more.)

6. kirk

The tags iTunes uses are standard. The only issue would be if a) you use ID3 tag fields that iTunes doesn't support, or b) you use a tagger that works with an older version of the ID3 specification, which may lead some tags to show up in the incorrect fields in iTunes. But any such tools would be fairly old, so it's probably not an issue any more (it was some years back).

7. Roger Emnett

Roger Emnett New Member

I can give you my personal opinion having ran iTunes on Windows for years then switching to Mac in 2011. I still maintain music libraries in both Windows 7 and MacOS only because I need Windows to run Audio Processing Software that is not available in a Mac version which is another story. I maintain my master music library in Mac iTunes because it gives you much more flexibility and just works better. You also have access to a multitude of scripts at Dougscripts.com that help you maintain your music library that do not work in Windows. That alone is worth sticking with the Mac. I was a network administrator for many years and had a love/hate relationship with windows. I promised myself when I retired the third time to treat myself to a Mac and have never looked back. I run Win7 because I have to but I run it on a Mac in either Parallels or Boot Camp.