1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Smartlist for Podcasts by Grouping

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by jpp, Apr 4, 2017.

1. jpp

jpp New Member

Hi, I'm using iTunes 12. The Grouping field no longer seems to be included in the Get Info screen for podcasts.

I like to have Smart Playlist for podcasts by the type of podcast. In the past, I would assign a podcast to a "Grouping" in the Get Info screen. Grouping examples: Health, Business, News

Since the Grouping field can no longer be set, I'm trying to find an alternative. The Sorting field might work fine, but I can't figure out what field in the Get Info screen of the podcast is associated with which "Sort" option in the Smart Playlist dropdown menu.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You could make a custom genre; just type what you want in the Genre field.

3. jpp

jpp New Member

Thanks! I didn't realize I could create custom Genres.

4. kirk

Yes, most people don't. I have tons of them - to use as genres, not for what you want - so I can better sort my music as I want. I even have genres for specific artists who take up a large place in my music library.

5. jpp

jpp New Member

It's too bad we have to give up the Genre field to use as a sorting mechanism; now I have to either tag the word "-Podcast" onto the end of each of my podcast categories I put into the Genre field... or not bother, then not be able to "smartlist" based on the Genre being a podcast.

6. kirk

I have all my classical genres in the form Classical: <sub-type>, such as Classical: Keyboard. Just saying...

7. jpp

jpp New Member

That seems like a cleaner syntax. Thanks for the suggestion :)