1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Apple TV announced today

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by PJ07, Sep 10, 2015.

1. PJ07

PJ07 Member

Just sharing thoughts ...

I'm keen to get the new ATV that was announced today. Universal search and apps look to be great features. I assume the new model can still be used to stream content from your own iTunes library via Home Sharing (or something equilavent). And I wonder if universal search will encompass your personal iTunes content ...

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

The Home Sharing question is something I've been discussing with a friend. There's nothing that says you can or can't use Home Sharing, which is a bit surprising. I think we'll have to wait and see, but I can't imagine they'll get rid of that.

3. Jeff Miller

Jeff Miller New Member

I can't find anything definitive either, but there does seem to be an updated, orange "Computers" icon: http://imgur.com/EoudJmx

4. Otto Nikolaus

Otto Nikolaus Member

It would be bizarre if you could no longer do that, but with Apple you never know. ;)

Another concern for me is the omission of the digital audio (Toslink) port. The original ATV had this and also 2 analogue RCA phono sockets so you could use it as an audio streamer or player, with or without a DAC. The later ATVs dropped the analogue sockets, which is fair enough, given the much smaller size, but HDMI is now the only output available.

My ATV 1 died a few months ago and I've been waiting until now to replace it but I'm now wondering if the ATV 3 would better suit my usage. OTOH I wouldn't want to miss out on the possibilities offered by the new OS. Will the ATV 3 be able to run it (I realise the new ATV has more RAM and faster CPU)?

5. kirk

The new Apple TV won't run the new tvOS. And, yes, the Toslink connector is a big change. If you do want to use it just for music streaming, then you need the older model; I assume that's why Apple hasn't discontinued it. Given the cost, I may buy an extra one to have just in case. (I have one now, and will replace it with the new one, and move the existing one to my bedroom, where I currently have an AirPort Express to stream music to a powered speaker.)

6. Otto Nikolaus

Otto Nikolaus Member

Thanks. I take it you meant that only the new ATV will run the new tvOS? One of the attractions of all previous ATVs was that you could use them as video devices connected to your TV and/or as audio devices without involving a TV at all, so I might well buy the older one. I have no need for the gaming abilities of the new one but thought that having an app store might open up the ATV to more connectivity options, such as DLNA.

7. kirk

I think DLNA requires specific hardware, but perhaps that's in the Apple TV.

Yes, tvOS won't be available on the older devices.

8. pbGuy

pbGuy New Member

Serenity Caldwell's post, at iMore, (see this Link: http://www.imore.com/apple-tv-faq - scroll down to the Music & Photos section) addresses Home Sharing on the Apple TV 4.

9. PJ07

PJ07 Member

Got the new Apple TV this week under the Apple lottery for iOS developers. Can confirm it does have Home Sharing to stream content from iTunes on your Mac to Apple TV. Seems a little buggy and incomplete at the moment, so assume there will be a software update prior to general release ...

10. kirk

Congrats! Thanks for the info.

11. Galley

Galley New Member

12. kirk

It is chunky. I don't really notice it, because I have my TV and a couple of other attached devices on a black glass shelf unit. But I wonder what's in it to make it so much thicker.