1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast Checkboxes Don't Work

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Tom Kelly, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tom Kelly

Tom Kelly New Member

Here's the setup: When I'm in iTunes, and my iPhone is connected to my computer, I go to player and to the Podcasts section under "Settings". There are three columns on the screen. The one on the left has "Settings" and "On My Device," the middle column is a list of subscribed Podcast sources (Fresh Air, the Infinite Monkey Cage, etc.) and the one on the right has my downloaded Episodes. To select which podcasts I want to sync, I check the "Sync" heading and click on a podcast. The episodes I've downloaded then appear in the righthand column. Next to each episode is a checkbox that determines whether or not an episode will sync to my player. The problem is this:

Once a box is checked, it CANNOT be unchecked. It doesn't matter whether or not I've played an episodes, it's still set to sync to my iPhone. This is especially troublesome if I need more space, which is the case as I'm writing this. I have managed - with difficulty - to actually talk to Apple tech support about this. After several sessions, they finally told me that somebody said this is a "known issue" and MAY be fixed on the next upgrade. They offered no help except to suggest uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it. I've done this three times, but nothing changes. I did it again about an hour ago.

Is there a fix or even a workaround for this problem? At this point I'd be happy if I could just uncheck the podcast episodes I've already heard, so I can free up some space. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I have to admit that I find iTunes' podcast management so confusing I don't use it any more. (I use Overcast on my iPhone to listen to podcasts.) Have you tried unchecking podcast syncing entirely, syncing, and then turning it on, to see if you can make any changes?