1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast Duplications

Discussion in 'Forum Help' started by Skinny, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Skinny

Skinny New Member

I have a very frustrating situation in iTunes 11.4. One of the podcasts to which I subscribe seems to have taken over, Rather than being listed in the left column by name and icon, it multiplies itself over and over again, with individual podcast episodes, and I can't control what is happening though the settings function. I continually delete these episodes individually but more keep coming. I have tried to turn off the "download" function in settings but it won't stay off. THe other odd thing is that for each episode, the name of the podcast (i.e. the programme name, in this case, London School of Economics) shows in grey in the left hand column. I can't delete it. THe only thing that I can think of that caused this problem is that I imported into this library (on my MacBook Pro), the iTunes library from my iMac in order to have both libraries identical. I followed the instructions from a MAC support forum posting. It was after doing that that this problem appeared. Any help would be appreciated. I just noticed that I can upload a file so I am going to take a picture of my podcast contents window to display the problem.

Attached Files:

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You say you can't delete it; what have you tried? Have you tried deleting it on every device? Have you deleted any episodes that are in your iTunes Media folder?

3. Skinny

Skinny New Member

It is not on every device- only my MacBook Pro. I have tried deleting it by selecting the Podcast name in the left column and clicking the delete button: also by highlighting the podcast name and selecting delete under the Edit Menu. Perhaps I did not make this clear: I can delete the individual episodes of the podcast that appear in the "My Episodes" window BUT new episodes keep being added in the same way. I must have deleted 200 individual episodes by now and still the repeated listing of "London School of Economics" in the left hadn column in grey has as many repeats as it had. Somehow I think the feeder must be continually replenishing the list but I don;t know for sure. In any event, I have "subscribe off" and "download off" in the content window of the one "London School of Economics" podcast listing that looks normal- i.e. it has the LSE icon and is in colour. In that listing, I can access a "settings" button but if appears to be having no effect. I am wondering whether I should dump my whole iTunes library. I have another library, almost identical but without this problem, on my iMAC. Oh and by the way, I have looked in all the places I know an can;t find an "iTunes Media Folder." On this computer I am using Snow Leopard so it may not have that title: I do find an iTunes Music folder that has a podcast folder in it. Strangely, in that folder are folders for all of the other podcasts I subscribe to EXCEPT the London School of Economics podcast!! Given these strangenesses, should I dump this library and replace it with the one form my iMac? If so, how do I dump the library: is it simply by trashing the iTunes Music Folder? Or do I trash "iTunes Library.xml" or both?

4. kirk

Maybe it's just the way the episodes are tagged that makes them display that way. Have you looked at the tags to find what's different from one episode to the next?

Something is clearly broken though. Do you sync your podcast subscriptions to other devices? If so, you might be able to delete it on an iPhone or iPad.

I wouldn't go as far as trashing the library. However, you might want to try this:

How To: Rebuild Your iTunes Library

5. Skinny

Skinny New Member

Thank you for this. I will try the rebuild and will let you know the results. I truly appreciate your help. The Rebuild instructions are very clear.

6. Skinny

Skinny New Member

Back again and unfortunately, after rebuilding iTunes library, the problem has worsened. I have even more listings in grey of the London School of Economics podcast, each with an individual episode; and also, other podcasts (i.e. Tapestry, Fresh Air etc) have developed multiple listings in grey. I am attaching 3 pictures to show the problem: for example, I am showing the Fresh Air podcast listing, first, with the coloured icon as it should be, highlighted so you can also see the "my episode" listings; and then in another picture, I have highlighted one of the grey listings of Fresh Air so you will see how the "my episode" listings look. If you compare these, you will see that when the grey podcast name is selected, the listings have information missing when compared to the one's that appear as they should appear when the coloured podcast name is selected. THe third picture shows the multiple repetition of the London School of Economics podcast, in grey, in the left hand column. THere are even more of these now- they have expanded!!

If you have any other suggested actions, I will be happy to try them but I ask again, should I trash the whole iTunes library and import the library that is on my other computer- perhaps even trash iTunes 11.4(18) and re download it? If so, do you have a set of instructions for how to do this?

Attached Files:

7. kirk

If you want to trash the library, it will delete all your playlists and settings. However, your podcast settings might be synced with iCloud, so I'm not sure if even that would be a good idea.

If you do want to do this, simply create a new library (press Option right after you open iTunes), and drag your iTunes Media folder - minus the Podcasts subfolder - onto the iTunes window. This will add all your media files. You'll still have your old library, so you can go back if you want.

However, you may need to unsubscribe from every podcast first.

I've never heard of anything like this; I think it's more the podcast settings than the iTunes library, but it's worth a try.

Oh, and back everything up first. Because reasons.

8. Skinny

Skinny New Member

THank you again for your detailed advice and commentary. I am using system 10.6.8 and based on what I read, this system does not interact with iCloud at all. Moreover, I am not interested in iCloud's functions so I would not chose to sync to it even if I could. BUt here is my (I hope) final question: I am uploading another picture. Beside the left hand listings of the type of content in my library, Music, Movies, and TV shows display an icon on the right that appears to be a cloud to me. What could this mean? These icons did not used to be there, as far as I recall.

9. Skinny

Skinny New Member

OOPs forgot to upload the picture. here it is

Attached Files:

10. kirk

Hmm... I wouldn't have expected that iTunes 11 was getting that turned on too, but my guess is it's this:

How to View Content Purchased from the iTunes Store in iTunes 12

Let me know if that's the case. I don't have anything running iTunes 11. I know the feature is there - it's in the prefs - but I'm surprised that it got turned on remotely by Apple.