1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Populating New Library ...

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by WTS, Mar 23, 2017.

1. WTS

WTS New Member

Hello,

My first post here.

I have Kirk's most recent Take Control of iTunes. I have read it. I have occasionally used it to solve a problem or reorganize some aspect of my ITunes library.

I have both a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air ... the MacBook Air being mostly used as the player for my DAC / stereo system. I've been using ITunes for approximately four years ... almost entirely to rip / organize a sizable compact disc library. The library is now 1.25 TB ... and it exists on an external 2 TB hard drive. I have 3 generation of back-ups. I keep one generation at work.

Recently, as the library has grown beyond 1.15 TB, it has been slowing considerably, hanging occasionally. This has occurred intermittently on both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. So I decided to divide the library into two or three libraries.

This is what Take Control of ITunes says with regard to creating and populating a new library:

"iTunes opens with that new empty library. You can add any of your media to it and make playlists, as you can with your main library. (To populate the new library, go into your original library’s iTunes Media folder, find what you want to add, and then drag it to the iTunes window.) You can make several libraries like this."

OK. So I did my first experiment (on a third generation copy) and was able to import a list of 50 albums. I did this by going to File - Add to Library and then selecting a list of albums from the original library folder. Great. But ...

(I didn't do it by dragging. I could not / did not visualize what Kirk meant about 'find what you want to add, then drag it to the ITunes window.")

So, I know that I can do it. However, if I were to attempt to do this on an album by album basis, it will take a very long time ... and there is a likelihood that I'll make mistakes, etc.

Is there a simpler / more efficient method?

My goal right now is to have three libraries: 1. Pop 2. Classical 3. Jazz I have used 'Genres' to organize my albums into these categories, with many subcategories. I want to use these genre categories to grab and populate the new libraries.

Can I? How? If not, is there a better method than working my way through the albums that I have. Is my not understanding Kirk's language preventing an efficient method?

Thank you.

WTS

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

The easiest way is to sort through the files in the Finder, and drag them to the new library. Or, even easier, sort them in iTunes, perhaps add everything you want to move to a playlist, then drag those files to a folder in the Finder. Then switch to the new library, add them. Then switch back to the old library and delete them.

The physical size of your library doesn't matter; what matters is how many tracks you have. How many are there in the library?

One thing that slows iTunes is having a lot of smart playlists. Do you have many?

3. WTS

WTS New Member

Thank you Kirk.
    Based on your explanation, I did some more experimentation in the interface between my ITunes music library and Finder.
    Success.
    I was able to transfer individual songs, albums, artists, and genres in and out of a ITunes library and Finder ... which will give me a great deal more power and flexibility in dealing with this large library in the future.

I have done very little work with playlists and almost nothing with smart playlists.
    I have well over 100,000 tracks.

I'll check back in here in a week or so and detail how my library 'breakdown' has gone.

Regards,

Bill

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Remember not to simply move folders in the Finder. If you do this, iTunes will still have the tracks in the library, and will show them as ! (can't find them). So what I always do is drag the files from a playlist to the Finder, then delete them all from the playlist.

One other tip: you can move all these files to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder for the second library. When you open that library in iTunes, they get copied to the library automatically.