1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predictive ratings and iTunes 12.6

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by Greg H, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Greg H

Greg H New Member

Has anyone got the update for 12.6? I did and apparently it caused the predictive ratings to go absolutely bonkers and crash my smart playlists. Does anybody know a reliable way to scrub out predictive and/or album ratings without changing the actual rated songs?

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You mean the average ratings that iTunes computes from album ratings, or from song ratings? What exactly happened? I'm not seeing any difference, but I don't rate albums.

3. Greg H

Greg H New Member

I believe it's the 'Album Ratings' of grey stars that are applied automatically.

I have four smart playlists. One each for songs rated 3, 4 and 5 limited to 10 songs, 20 and 10 respectively based on least recently played. The fourth smart playlist is made of the first three and loads to my iPod and gets played on random in my car to and from work, shopping etc.

The problem is if an album gets rated with hollow or grey or predictive ratings they have the same significance as songs that are legitimately rated, by hand, by me and these songs artificially populate my random or favorites type smart playlist.

Recently there was some change, I think it was an iTunes update, that calculated and hollow star rated about 2,500 albums which is about 33,000 songs and tanked that smart playlist. I like two Bob Marley songs and now every Bob Marley song I have I like equally to the others.

I've tried to rerate the albums by clicking to the left of the star, that doesn't work anymore. I've tried selecting the album and selecting 'None' for the rating but that rerates the songs individually so even songs that I've already rated by hand go to 'None'.

I can't seem to find the rhyme or reason for why this happened either. I even saw on one album my already rated songs were switched to grey stars and all others were regular filled in blue style.

Yeah, I threw a fit. So, I'm going to replace the current .itl file with the most recently saved before the update and see if that helps.

If you have any better ideas or less disruptive ideas let me know.

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

This happened in May:

iTunes 12.4 Applies Song Ratings to Albums and Destroys Smart Playlists

I had to remove album ratings for all my albums. But these weren't the average ratings that were being found for the smart playlists, this was iTunes that had applied album ratings equivalent to the average ratings.

Yours is this first I've heard of these average album ratings showing up in smart playlists.

5. Greg H

Greg H New Member

The post of what happened to you is similar to what happened to me but I'm not really even sure what's happened at this point.

This hasn't been a new thing either it's happened in the past apropos of nothing. One day a batch of new songs and albums would be hollow starred and I'd have to manually rerate them.

I don't know if the songs are rating the albums or the albums rating the songs. I do know that I don't have a reliable way to remove the album ratings because once one of the songs is rated anything at all a hollow star rating shows up on the album.

I tried going back one .itl file and that worked for about a half a second until all of the ratings that happened with the update snap back in to place and jack up the smart playlists again.

I'll just have to make the playlists 'dumb' again and manually drag the appropriate files to the appropriate playlists. Just a little more manual management.

Thank you for the reply and link to the post.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017