1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem after rebuilding iTunes library

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by Martin Nadeau, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Martin Nadeau

Martin Nadeau New Member

Hi,

I’ve had to rebuild my iTunes library yesterday by deleting the iTunes Library.itl file in my iTunes folder. It worked fine, but now all my songs have an "arrowed cloud" download icon and I would have to re-download every song from iCloud Music Library. However, I have all those files on my hard drive already. Is there a way to point iTunes to those files on the HD so it knows there’s no need to re-download everything?

This is especially important for those songs where I have lossless files on my HD and now I'll have to replace them with 256k AAC versions from the cloud...

Thanks.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

3. Martin Nadeau

Martin Nadeau New Member

Hi Kirk,

Yes, I had found that page and this is exactly what I did. I received a message from Apple Support after posting here and they said the only option is to dowload everything from iCloud Music Library. Awful design from them if that's really true.

4. kirk

If you rebuild the library using the XML file, and if the files are in the correct location, you shouldn't have any problem. All the files show download icons?

5. Martin Nadeau

Martin Nadeau New Member

Yes, they do. I'm wondering if I should go into preferences and turn off iCloud Music Library before starting the rebuilding process? Not sure if that would help.

For now, I've reverted back to the old xml and .itl files from backup, but that created a mess of its own. I didn't get my library back in exactly in the condition it was in before the rebuilding.

6. Martin Nadeau

Martin Nadeau New Member

Holy crap, the more I look at it, the more it's a mess. Songs missing, tags I had edited have been automatically re-written, etc.

I think I would normally have to restart my collection of 30 000 songs from scratch (mostly Apple Music stuff). Such a big endeavor since it was very well "curated", I might take the opportunity to look into Spotify just to keep all this separate from my own files in iTunes.

iTunes is such a mess. The things I was trying to fix are probably just bugs introduced in the latest version(s).

Sigh...

7. kirk

The biggest problem I've found with iCloud Music Library is the way tags get arbitrarily changed. I don't use the cloud with my personal music library; I have a second library on my MacBook for iCloud Music Library, plus my iPads use it (my iPhone doesn't; I sync to that).