1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really basic iTunes instructions

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by LECOCO HEATED, Feb 25, 2017.

1. LECOCO HEATED

LECOCO HEATED New Member

Can some one lead me to a very basic how-to for iTunes? I have not used it before although some years back I uploaded a bunch of CDs to what is now iTunes. I need something to say, do this, do that, and listen. My hope is to get my old CDs and an occasional new purchase in one library accessible to my iMac and iPhones. I would like to listen via my iPhone when away from home. Some areas I am in do not have cell phone reception. I have satellite internet service with a data cap that renders frequent up/downloading unfeasible. I would like to use iCloud if possible.

Thanks

Sorry for the goofy user name. I typed the captcha into the wrong box and am stuck with it.

Geoff

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You're asking for a bit more than just basic instructions. You might want to check out my book, Take Control of iTunes 12.

It was just updated about ten days ago. It covers all of the above, and much more.

3. LECOCO HEATED

LECOCO HEATED New Member

thanks. I looked at the "free sample" and it looks, as you suggest, as it covers my needs. A few questions: Perhaps these are answered in the book. If so, only #1 needs an answer before I buy the book. It appears not available in printed form. (an old fellow, comfortable with printed books and paperclips.) 1) Which format do I want to read on an iPad. (New to iPad also.) 2) Does the age of my CDs matter? Most are 15 yr+. They have not been used much, however. 3) Some CDs are in the iTunes library now. Would it be easier to erase the whole library and start from scratch with the ones I like? Over half are books that I have no use for. Little, if any, are purchased music. I still have the CDs.

Geoff

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

On the iPad, it's best to choose the ePub format. The age of the CDs shouldn't matter, but some CDs don't age well, and may not rip without problems. I don't see any reason to delete older rips, unless you want to re-rip in a different format.

5. LECOCO HEATED

LECOCO HEATED New Member

Thanks much. I'll get the book but will have to wait until I'm still awake at midnight. Then the data cap is lifted for 5 hours.