1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Vinyl -

Discussion in 'Ripping, Converting, Files & Formats' started by gdbleb, Nov 5, 2015.

1. gdbleb

gdbleb New Member

Having bought better speakers for my computer(s), I have caught the music bug yet again.
    So I have just re-ripped ~500 CD's into Apple lossless and I can (still at 62) hear the difference.
    So now I wish to rip ~600 albums from my youth. Collection runs he gamut and it is in very good condition.
    I have Kirk's Take Control book for Audio Hijack. I'll be using my old Thorens 126 turntable (still good after all these years) and a Nakamichi PreAmp for the Phono pre-amp stage. Bring that into a rMBP15 via the RCA-mini plug?
    My big question is - who/what performs the ADC function?
    With all the praise being made for dedicated DAC's, is what I am about to use good enough?
    Is there other ripping SW?
    I really only wish to do this once. ;-)
    Many thanks.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You need an adapter between the RCA and MacBook Pro. I don't think the MacBook Pro has an audio in, so you need something like I mention in the book. There are lots of USB adapters, and they do the D/A conversion.