1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorting Artist Issue

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by BramSmits, May 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM.

1. BramSmits

BramSmits New Member

Hi there,

I am new here, but I've been a fan of both this forum and your work as "The iTunes Guy" over at MacWorld for a while.

I am rebuilding my entire iTunes, and am encountering a problem involving 'sort artist' in the process.
    For example, John Legend is displayed in the artist column browser as "John Legend & The Roots". Out of the five Legend-songs, the first four have "John Legend" as the (1.) artist, (2.) album artist, (3.) sort artist and (4.) sort album artist.

The fifth song, "Wake Up Everybody" has the following data.

- artist: "John Legend & The Roots feat. Common and Melanie Fiona"
    - album artist: "John Legend & The Roots"
    - sort artist: "John Legend"
    - sort album artist: "John Legend"

The reason for this is that I want to avoid having both "John Legend" and "John Legend & The Roots" show up in the artist column browser.

The good news is that it sorts the songs together now, however, for some reason it seems to have changed the sort album artist to "John Legend & The Roots" for all five songs.

I can't for the life of me figure out where I went wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM
  2. BramSmits

BramSmits New Member

3. BramSmits

BramSmits New Member

4. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

The Sorting tags don't change the display in iTunes; they only change the alphabetical order. If you want it to be John Legend, you need to make that the album artist.

5. BramSmits

BramSmits New Member

I understand that in principle, but I still don't get something.

So, five songs are grouped together with different input under 'album artist'. Four of them say 'John Legend', one says 'John Legend & The Roots'. Why is the input of the one song dominant in this case?

I would swear that in previous versions of iTunes I had albums by 'Bruce Springsteen' and 'Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band' which grouped together under 'Bruce Springsteen', while retaining their individual album artists. I thought I managed that by playing around with the album artist and sort album artist.

6. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

You're saying that in the top screen shot, if you displayed the Album Artist column, they would all say John Legend?

7. BramSmits

BramSmits New Member

I'm saying that I'm 90% sure that's how it was in the past.

As for the present, that's what I would ideally see, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.