1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Headphones, Speakers, & the Rest' started by Slydude, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Slydude

Slydude Member

I currently have a Yamaha surround sound setup like this one and it's powered by a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. I am seriously thinking about upgrading the speakers a bit. They're not bad given what I paid for the set several years ago but the subwoofer is not as "clean" sounding as it could be. I'll tinker with it a bit more first but I'm thinking of upgrading the entire set of speakers. I'll kesep the receiver as upgrading it is out of the budget at the moment.

My primary listening is iTunes tracks, mp3s topped from CDs, some CDs that haven't been ripped yet and surround sound for TV and Movies. Music is mainly rock, blues, jazz and some classical. I listened to a series of Infinity speakers several years ago and liked them but any recommendations are welcome. Budget will top out somewhere in the $600 - 800 range if I stretch it a bit.

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I only had an actual surround sound system once, a very long time ago. I don't find it adds much to movies, and it's useless with music. So the only thing I'd recommend is getting Real Speakers, even if it means just for the front pair.

I'm very, very happy with Focal Chorus speakers. I bought the first pair (806) when I was living in France; they're a French brand. I bought another, smaller pair (705) for my office, after I moved to the UK a couple of years ago. I find they have a very neutral sound. But speakers are quite personal. Also, I don't know where you live, and whether they're sold there.

3. Slydude

Slydude Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in the Southern US. I'll do some poking around and see what I can find them. I've noticed that surround sound doesn't seem to help with most music and as you say is less helpful than one would think for many movies.

My front speakers aren't to bad but I'm thinking I might do the following:
    1. Upgrade the front speakers and subwoofer focusing something good for music.
    2. Current front speakers become the rear speakers
    3. Current rear speakers become a set of "presence" speakers which my current receiver supports.

4. kirk

Yes, that's what I'd do. Not sure I'd spend the bucks on a sub-woofer though; they can be very expensive.

5. Slydude

Slydude Member

The Yamaha set I have includes a subwoofer. It is either not working well or I need to tweak the settings a bit. It does not seem to kick in when it should and sometimes when it does the sound is not as clean as it should be. It is also possible I've gotten pickier about the sound as I've gotten older.

You may be on to something there about the subwoofer. I'm thinking that if I still can't get the sound I want I'd try the following plan:
    1. Upgrade the front speakers
    2. Try the speakers both with and without the existing sub
    3. Upgrade the existting sub as a last resort.

6. kirk

Right, I meant that I wouldn't spend the money for a better subwoofer.

7. Slydude

Slydude Member

We're starting to think alike. Either we're twins or I'm channeling you. Either way, works for me.:)

8. Black Six

Black Six New Member

As far as brands go, I'm a fan of Polk Audio and have used their speakers for home theater and car audio for a while now. To me they seem fairly accurate with the mids and highs. I'm currently using these surrounds and this subwoofer.

9. Slydude

Slydude Member

I started looking at some of the Polk gear last night at the Crutchfield site. Probably won't buy from there though since I can usually find better deals elsewhere.