1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer massive music library from iphone6 to Windows 10 PC

Discussion in 'Syncing iOS Devices' started by Bradyn, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bradyn

Bradyn New Member

HELLO FOLKS !!
    I have a (128gig) iPhone6 with 18,815 songs on it. My old hard drive bricked without giving me a chance to back it up so, my entire library is trapped only on my iPhone. My computer is a Windows 10 2.67gig processor with 4gigs of ram and (NOW NEW) 500gig ssd hard drive.
    I am using 3rd party software to try to save my iTunes library & get it back to my PC where it belongs....
    Iexplorer (3rd party software) transfers directly to iTunes at a rate of 10/20 songs per hour, with 18000 songs it will literally take weeks to repopulate my iTunes library. If I copy to a folder rather than iTunes, the process is much faster and it may take 15-20 hours to copy to a folder and not directly to iTunes.
    Once they are copied to a folder, the files are not neatly organized or titled so importing to iTunes makes no sense as the files are a mess. Does iExplorer reformat the files from m4a type to something iTunes can import with organization? How long should a 3rd party program take to import 18,815 songs directly to iTunes? Is iExplorer the fastest of such programs on the market?
    I have purchased iExplorer and am hoping it is a program that best suits my needs. So far I am not sure that it is because I have many many hours invested in this process with very little results so far.
    Also while pausing the import to iTunes process, and later restarting, I noticed that there were a tremendous amount of unlabeled songs and duplicates in my library. So much so that my 500gig hard drive was getting low on available storage. iExplorer had used over 150gigs of storage to import what should be 76gigs of 128kbps compressed songs. Apparently the stop and restarting had triggered additional copies of songs being transferred to the tune of 4 or 5 times in many cases. I had to delete the entire 150+gigs of imported files and start over because I had only imported about 15% of the 18,815 songs at that point.
    Is iExplorer the right program for someone in my situation? Please advise, Bradyn.

Thanks in advance for any help ... I'm at my wits end

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

I've used iExplorer (full disclosure: they have been a sponsor of my website), and I never found it took that long to transfer files.

The files won't be organized, but add them to iTunes, and iTunes will straighten that out.

As for .m4a, that's the AAC format that iTunes supports.

3. Bradyn

Bradyn New Member

Thanks for your reply Kirk !!
    iExplorer, for my particular situation, has left a lot to be desired. I must also say that, not only has iExplorer not met my needs or expectations quite how I had hoped, but neither have TouchCopy or Syncios. I have tried three different 3rd party programs SO FAR.
    My true hope is to repopulate my PC's iTunes library to the way it is on my iPhone, and to the way it was on my old hard drive, pre-short notice brick. Every album has a cover, every song belongs to the full album it originated from. It's nice, it's neat, and it took years and years to put together. iExplorer (as well as the other 3rd parties mentioned above) are not as accurate as my library is, they import sloppily & slowly.

I did go to the apple store today and I spoke with an associate. He told me that for my particular situation, paying for either apple music or iTunes library may be the best way to accomplish what I need. Do you know if he is right? Can I use iTunes library to import my music from my iPhone to my Windows 10 PC iTunes library by simply paying for a year's worth of service ($25)? I am already nearly $90 in to software purchases and literally countless wasted hours of "sync time" so spending a little more money now for an accurate and correct solution, is money well spent.

4. kirk

No, it won't import tracks from your phone. At least not the original tracks; when I did that just after the Apple Music launch, it made a mess of my library, and important Apple Music tracks with DRM .

5. Bradyn

Bradyn New Member

I think that is what has happened to the songs on my phone. When the import starts, it goes very fast for about 1200 songs, after that, as I watch songs import on iTunes and they are unknown song-unknown artist- thousands of them.
    I had Apple Music on my phone for the 3 free month trial a while ago. Apple Music must've scrambled the files and I'm just learning about it now.
    I sent my best friend a fully synced and loaded 128gig iPod touch for Father's Day, now he is my last hope of retrieving my 18,815 song library. It's too bad that he lives 1800 miles away.
    I have not given up hope just yet!!

6. kirk

Next time, back up your files! It's essential, especially with iCloud Music Library, since iTunes can do some crazy things.

Bradyn likes this.
  7. Bradyn

Bradyn New Member

Kirk, do you think my iTunes library itself was contaminated ?
    I'm having my friend send his iPod 1800 miles to help restore my library, I synced my entire library to his iPod right before Father's day of this year, long after I had turned off Apple Music on my phone. Do you think the PC library itself was contaminated by turning Apple Music on on my phone?

8. kirk

It's very possible that turning Apple Music on corrupted the library. This could especially be the case if iTunes was updating the library at some point and lost the network connection, or if Apple Music was overloaded. I think that first setup can cause issues.

9. Bradyn

Bradyn New Member

Ok, just as an update... My friend in Phoenix sent me his iPod & I started transferring with iExplorer. At first iExplorer was transferring at break neck speeds... but after about 12 hours only 5000 songs had transferred to iTunes & only 50% of those were properly tagged.
    I then tried iExplorer copy to folder on PC, which was much faster BUT, when I tried to copy over to iTunes or import to iTunes from the new folder, once again, the files were severely unlabeled. So then I tried iFunbox & the screen froze as it tried to read the library on the iPod. I gave up on that pretty quick, as I was frustrated.
    Next I tried TouchCopy, which is actually what I am using right now. I was VERY doubtful to try Touchcopy again because when I tried to transfer from my iPhone Touchcopy froze,often, the last time I tried to use it. Nevertheless I tried it again. When I started "Copy To iTunes" I could literally see my music files coming in to iTunes & going in to their appropriate albums, one track at a time PERFECTLY.
    Currently I've had my friends iPod hooked up to my computer for about 20 hours and about 14000 of 18000 songs have transferred PERFECTLY (so far). Songs are in their proper albums with covers. There are ZERO "unknown" files (so far), and, knock on wood, my hopes are high.
    For whatever reason, Touchcopy transferred from iPod to iTunes better than the other programs in this particular situation.

- Bradyn