1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undeleteable old protected AAC songs

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by Steven Weyhrich, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Steven Weyhrich

Steven Weyhrich New Member

I've been using iTunes since it was SoundJam. When the iTunes Music Store made legal music available, I purchased a fair amount of it. When I was able, I changed these to unprotected versions (not all were made available in that format). So, for the most part, I have a large library of music, purchased and ripped, and some of it is m4p protected.

On those songs that were updated to unprotected versions via Apple's upgrade option (I recall it being 30 cents per song), I deleted the older, 128kbps versions in favor of the newer ones. Or at least I thought I did. I'm finding songs in my library that are identified with the iCloud download symbol, and whose metadata is not editable. Location, per Get Info, is "iCloud". Not only can I not edit them, but I cannot delete them. Right-clicking on a song offers a "delete" option, but nothing happens.

This is a nuisance, particularly when the metadata is wrong. For example, I have a copy of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", that says its date of release is 1947. So it's in my 1940s playlist, even though it is clearly not a 1947 song.

How do I get rid of these and other "iCloud" songs? I do not use Apple Match, Apple Music, or any iCloud service with Apple's music. I buy a track, download it, and that's it.

2. Steven Weyhrich

Just to add to the mystery, I find that when I look in my main songs library and search for "My Heart Will Go On", the only version it finds is the 128kbps protected version that actually is on my hard disk. It does not match the "1947" version with the iCloud download symbol that I found in my 1940s smart playlist.

3. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

It's because your purchases are showing in your library. Choose View > Only Downloaded Music when you're in your music library to hide them.

4. Steven Weyhrich

Hi, thanks. I do have that checked for the full library, but do not see that as an available option when I am in my smart playlist (which is where the "bad" song appears). Is that one more filter I need to include in that smart playlist?

5. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Yes, for some reason, you can't turn that off for a playlist. So if one of your conditions matches a song that's in the cloud, you'll see it no matter what. I know, that's really a weird thing...

6. Steven Weyhrich

*sigh* Thanks for the info. Apple, I wish you would give iTunes / Photos / iMovie as much love as you give that darn iPhone... :-/