1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is recently added section on iTunes on the mac showing all my songs

Discussion in 'General iTunes Usage' started by Sam duffy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

hi my question is on iTunes on the mac there's a section called recently added that adds recent songs to your library. However I noticed on my iTunes on the mac it seems to be adding all my songs I ever added to this section. Can you confirm this is normal behaviour I was told it was but wanted to confirm. If it is it seems a bit stupid to call this section recently added if it adds all your songs ever added even from a number of years ago

I have songs from 2007 appearing in recently added on the mac

However on iOS it seems to only show recently added songs from this month and last 3 months etc and not songs from 2007 etc like the mac does

Can you please explain what's going on here and are others noticing the same thanks

2. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. iTunes used to let you choose the scope of the Recently Added section.

3. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

So this is normal behaviour then ?

Thanks

Sam

4. Roger Emnett

Roger Emnett New Member

I have experienced similar problems so I never use it and that is why I create my own recently added Smart Playlist with a Date Added as anything after a specified date. You can also enter other parameters if needed. This gives you much more flexibility.

Sam duffy likes this.
  5. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

anks

6. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

Thanks. Are you noticing the recently added section appearing with every song ever added in iTunes on the Mac

7. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

Ho
    hopefully it will be addressed soon

8. coke

coke New Member

I only see this type of behavior when I do a clean install and re-add my songs back to iTunes. Are you using the XML file? Has your iTunes Library.itl rebuilt itself recently?

9. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

I'm not sure what you mean by xml file. No it hasn't rebuilt itself that I'm aware of. It only started doing this since iTunes 12.5 everything works I just don't see why a section called recently added is showing songs from today to 2007 why not call it all music in that case. However the recently added on iOS only shows just that recently added songs not the ones from 2007 etc

Thanks

10. coke

coke New Member

This link will take you to an article written by Kirk: http://www.kirkville.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/ It gives a great description about the xml file and what you have to do to use it. For some reason, it seems to be showing your whole library. I have only see this behavior for newly created libraries.

11. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

No I've had this library a long time and others have too. I think even Kirk himself is noticing this issue. I have reported to Apple and engineering has said thanks for letting them kmow the fix will come in a new version of iTunes but only temporary fix by deleting the library and re adding everything but I'm not bothered doing that

12. kirk

kirk Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, my Recently Added goes back to 2004. That's probably the oldest tracks in my library, after I would have created a new library at some point in the early years.

13. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

Yeah similarity to me Kirk mine goes back to 2007 but I've always had the same library never made a new one

Bit pointless it being called recently added why not all music perhaps.

14. Sam duffy

Sam duffy Member

According to Apple support engineering they told me it will be addressed in a future iTunes update but a temporary fix is to delete the songs in the library and re add them this should push older ones out in iTunes. But thats a bit stressful Hopefully WWDC will address all that.

I think a new UI for iTunes is needed to match the iOS look similar to photos for mac and photos on iOS. its practically identical